Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It is COLD!

So I spoke too soon. After a few weeks of temperatures ranging from in the 40's to in the -40's (yes, that's -40!) it is officially COLD here. Never felt this cold before, EVER! I thought it was cold in Illinois & Kansas when we lived there. The wind blew there too. I thought it was chilly in Oklahoma & New York because of the wind and humidity (not as much wind as Kansas though). But here, it's cold AND windy and when it's in the negative numbers, you can't even breath! Not cool at all. Your nose hairs freeze (and I never thought I had any). Your children's faces are bright red because of the cold, even though they have face masks on, hoods, and scarfs too. The only parts of us that stay warm are our feet and our torsos because I found boots that keep you warm to -40 & coats that keep you warm to -30. When I found them online in the fall, Daddy & I laughed about how silly it was that we would need them. Little did we know how thankful we would be for them. At recess, all the kids must have snow pants, hats, gloves, scarfs or face masks, coats, and snow boots. On bad days, they even wear them to school just to walk into the school. The kids go outside when it is -15 or warmer. Warmer! -15 is NOT warm!

At least we now have snow. It snowed 5 inches on Sunday. That's not much compared to what it was like here last year at this time, but I'm grateful for it. If I have to live with this horrid cold, then at least I can look out my window and see snow on the trees. The downside is we have shoveled 3 times since Sunday. Daddy used the snowblower that night and then I shoveled Monday morning because it had continued to snow and the snowplows had shoved snow into our driveway. Today, the city came and took away the snow piles in our culdesac but they shoved about 6 inches of snow all the way across the end of our driveway so I had to shovel again, just to get our cars in and out. Not cool at all.

Raptor has been wishing it was Spring all the time. Ramble wants Summer all the time. I just don't want it to be Winter all the time.

1 comment: