Friday, July 20, 2012

Cincinnati Museum of Natural History

On Friday we went to the Museum of Natural History.  It is located in the Cincinnati Union Terminal along with a children's museum and Cincinnati history museum.  The architecture was amazing.  I loved it!

Woolly Mammoth!  Raptor loved that it was the first thing you saw once you went into the museum.

Bat presentation.  The kids loved it but I think they are creepy.  The lady had to wake them up and then make sure they were awake enough to hold onto the mesh.

 Climbing through a tiny tunnel into a recreation of Mammoth Caves in Kentucky (we went there a few years ago and loved it)

Love the baby Ankylosaurus!

Armored fish

Ammonite shell.  These were Ramble's favorites.

Touching a yellow spotted salamander.  It was poisonous and it liked to stay wet so the kids had to pet it after they had their hands sprayed with water (verbatim from Raptor).

 Taking a break in the ice cream shop and checking out their treasures from the trade store.  The kids did a scavenger hunt for points then could trade them in for treasures.  Love when you get free souvenirs!
Fossils, cool rocks, a walnut, and a magnifying glass were their treasures.

 Just loved the inside of the terminals!

I wish I had taken more pictures.  We loved this museum.  The kids read almost everything there was and it took us a few hours to get through.  It reminded me in a small way of the Museum of Natural History in NYC but on a much smaller scale.