Sunday, October 18, 2009
Soccer
By default dear Hubby and I are Ramble's soccer coaches. Now, I like watching soccer and played it when I was about 8. Hubby never played it and actually doesn't like playing any sport that involves a ball. Give him cross country skiis, go running, do karate and he loves it. Anyway, we have been practicing once a week and have had a game every Saturday since the start of September. Two weeks ago, our games were bitter cold--the sky was cloudy, the ground hard, and the wind blowing. Half of our team (K-2nd graders) was dressed in layers, the other half not so much. By the end of the game, I found myself admiring a worm that a girl was trying to keep warm (it was quite large and impressively pink), telling kids to put their hands under their arms to keep warm (for this I got glazed stares and shakes of the head--what is she thinking!), and even told one girl to get her shirt down over her head. As I wondered what the parents might think as they looked across the field to see their children rolling on the ground, hiding under each other, and playing with worms, I wished I was over with those same parents and could ignore my offspring with such abandon.